Audioengine A5+ Premium Powered Speakers deliver audiophile-quality sound and features for affordable high-quality audio.
Audioengine A5+ Premium Powered Speakers deliver ‘audiophile’ quality stereo sound and include features at a price that continues to set the standard for affordable high-quality audio. Connect your iDevice, computer, TV, or any other audio component for great stereo sound in any room.
The A5+ powered speaker system is Audioengine’s flagship model and has become a best seller. The A5+ has the same award-winning signature sound as the original A5’s, but now includes customer-requested upgrades and features.
Audioengine have created the A5+ speakers with the sound, looks, and overall quality of systems priced much higher. Take a look at the superb reviews to see what the reviewers have to say about these speakers.
Why active speakers?
Built-in class A/B power amplifiers save space and eliminate the need to connect Audioengine 5+ to a stereo receiver or external power amplifier. Simply plug the left speaker into an AC outlet and connect the included speaker wire from the left to right speaker. All internal components of the A5+ are tuned together, providing a more efficient system requiring less power than separate passive speakers and amplifiers. With superior stereo separation and incredible imaging, A5+ have a clear sonic advantage over other lifestyle ‘boomboxes’ or ‘all-in-one’ systems, offer a true taste of quality audio.
The A5+ difference – sound quality, build quality and great design
You will not hear any enhanced mega-hyper-monster boomy bass from these powered speakers! The low end from the A5+ is real bass, very near to the originally-recorded music. From rap to classical to movies, you’ll get tight, punchy bass with an awesome growl that will make you smile – regardless of the volume level. The mid range is open, tonally excellent and very detailed, so delicate and low level ambience as well as the musical performance can be heard. The top end is crystal clear but stress free. The overall balance is good and the stereo imaging excellent, as one would expect from correctly designed active speakers.
The build quality shines out, with custom Kevlar woofers, silk dome tweeters, and hand-built cabinets, the Audioengine 5+ includes a remote control, dual audio inputs and enhanced thermal management. You can charge your iDevice via the USB power port and also add a subwoofer to the variable output. Connect Audioengine 5+ to your computer’s headphone jack or pair with a USB DAC to achieve an even higher level of sound quality. The Audioengine 5+ works with any computer and there’s no software to install or settings to change. They look great too, in either wood, black or white cabinet finishes.
- Built-in power amplifiers
- Remote control
- Improved thermal management
- RCA and mini-jack audio inputs
- Front panel volume control
- USB power charge port
- Variable preamp audio output
- Gold-plated connectors
- Full-size 5-way speaker binding posts
- Custom Kevlar woofers and silk tweeters
- Hand-built MDF wood cabinets
- Magnetically shielded
- Advance tuned cabinet with rear-ported waveguide
- Stand-mount 1/4″ threaded inserts
- Cables included
- Any computer (Mac or PC)
- iPod, iPhone, and iPad (all iDevices)
- Audioengine wireless audio adapters
- Apple Airport Express + AirPlay
- Any product with mini-jack or RCA outputs
What’s in the box
- A5+ powered (left) speaker
- A5+ passive (right) speaker
- Remote control
- Speaker wire (16AWG), 3.75 meters (~12.3ft)
- Detachable power cord
- Mini-jack audio cable, 2 meters (~6.5ft)
- RCA to RCA audio cable, 2 meters (~6.5ft)
- 2 Cloth speaker bags
- Cloth cable bag
- Setup Guide
- Product line brochure
Materials and Construction
- 1″ thick MDF cabinet
- 5″ Kevlar woofers with advanced voice coils
- 20mm silk dome tweeters with neodymium magnets
- Torroidal power transformers
- Type: 2.0 powered (active) bookshelf-style speaker system
- Power Output: 150W peak power total (50W RMS / 75W peak per channel), AES
- Inputs: 3.5mm stereo mini-jack, RCA L/R
- Outputs: RCA variable line-out, USB (power/charge)
- Main Voltages: 115/240V, 50/60Hz manually switchable
- Amplifier Type: Dual Class AB monolithic
- Drivers: 5″ Kevlar woofers, 3/4″ silk dome tweeters
- SNR: >95dB (typical A-weighted)
- THD+N: <0.05% at all power settings
- Crosstalk: -50dB
- Frequency response: 50Hz-22kHz ±1.5dB
- Input impedance: 10K ohms unbalanced
- Protection: Output current limiting, thermal over-temperature, power on/off transient protection, replaceable external main fuse
- Dimensions (LEFT speaker HWD): 10.75″ (27cm) x 7″ (18cm) x 9″ (23cm)
- Dimensions (RIGHT speaker HWD): 10.75″ (27cm) x 7″ (18cm) x 7.75″ (20cm)
- Weight (LEFT speaker): 7 kg
- Weight (RIGHT speaker): 4.4 kg
- Shipping weight: 14 kg
- Shipping box dimensions: 38cm x 56cm x 29cm
- Power Consumption: Idle: 10W / Mute: 6W / Sleep: 4W
- 25mm thick MDF cabinets
- 3/4″ silk dome tweeters with neodymium magnets
- 5″ Kevlar woofers with advanced voice coils
Audioengine designs and manufactures their own tweeters, woofers, and other critical components. In other words, these are not “box built” speakers with off-the-shelf parts but custom-designed to their specifications. What they do not fabricate directly in their factory they have made to their designs (parts such as transformers, magnets, and wiring harnesses, for example). The cabinets, drivers, bass port designs, amplifiers, and crossovers are all painstakingly tuned together for each Audioengine model. This, in turn, makes for a much more efficient system that requires much less power than passive speakers and a separate integrated amplifier or similar A/V components.
Audioengine uses audiophile-quality, ferro fluid cooled silk dome tweeters with neodymium magnets. Silk tweeters hold up well under high power and the edge-driven design gives very smooth response. The woofers are Kevlar woven glass aramid composite with rubber surrounds. Kevlar is obviously very strong, which means that the woofer retains its shape when being driven at high levels. The speaker materials and construction are robust enough to stand up to some serious thrashing, so speaker grills aren’t needed and they will sound and look great after many years of use.
The amplifiers in Audioengine speakers are located in the left speaker and are a conservatively rated analog design. All components are tuned together for each model, which provides a much more efficient system requiring less power than passive speakers and separate amplifiers. Circuit boards for the power and preamp sections are mounted for maximum mechanical shock protection.
Power transformers are a large contributor to the overall audio performance, especially in the low end. Again, no off-the-shelf parts. Audioengine uses gapless core toroidal transformers which have a tighter radiated magnetic field, directly translating to lower noise. They are lighter than standard, lower-cost “EI” transformers and also generate less heat.
Both drivers are directly video shielded and allow the user to place the speakers within a few inches of a video monitor. This shielding also offers protection for hard-drive digital music players.
The Audioengine 5+ includes a 5V, 500mA USB power supply that powers later generation iPod, iPhone, and most other USB “bus-powered” devices. The USB port is for power and charging, not for data transfer or music syncing.
|Audioengine A5+ Features (312.0 KB)|
|Audioengine A5+ Setup Guide (927.0 KB)|