Box-Design USB Box S+
Free UK delivery
Premium computer audio with USB 2.0
The USB Box S+ from Box Design by Pro-Ject Audio uses the most advanced features and technologies in USB asynchronous data transfer thanks to a high-end XMOS chipset. This simple-to-use Digital/Analogue Converter (DAC) connects to your computer via USB and to a hi-fi system through traditional RCA leads to open the world of computer audio to your hi-fi.
Inside the USB Box S+ is a PCM5102A DAC chip from Burr-Brown, which is able to deliver very good signal to noise ratio, very good dynamic range, low distortion and a very low output impedance. This premium chip is also capable of handling up to 32-bit/384kHz digital audio files, opening up the world of studio-grade DXD (Digital eXtreme Definition) audio.*
Set-up is as simple as plug-and-play with Apple and Linux systems, while Windows systems just need Pro-Ject's audio drivers installed for quality playback of 24-bit/192kHz audio files.* The USB Box S+ also highlights the sample rate of the current audio file, by lighting the corresponding light on the clearly laid out front panel. The filter button switches between two filter designs (Minimum Distortion / Optimum Phase)** that can further tailor the sound to suit your preference.
USB Box S+ up-samples data on 352.8kHz or 384kHz (44.1kHz, 88.2kHz & 176.4kHz are upsampled on 352.8kHz. 48, 96 & 192kHz are up-sampled on 384kHz), meaning every digital detail is captured for conversion - resulting in a truly musical playback through your Hi-Fi.
Compared to conventional 24bits/96kHz DAC technology, the USB Box S+ offers lowest possible jitter and up to 20dB lower noise levels. There are also no superfluous components, which keeps the analogue signal path clear of potential degradation. The use of an external power supply reduces potential electromagnetic on the board, as does the heavy metal enclosure that protects the internal boards from external influences.This little Box takes USB streaming to another level!
* The USB Box S+ is supplied with a disc that contains Pro-Ject's latest ASIO drivers for hi-res audio playback on Windows machines. Apple or Linux machines should not need any additional drivers installed. Only certain programs are capable of handling 32-bit/384kHz audio (Foobar 2000, JRiver, Mediacentre etc.).
** The two filters are “Brick Wall” FIR (Finite Impulse Response) and “Apodizing” IIR (Infinite Impulse Response), respectively.
- Premium 32-bit / 384kHz PCM-5102A DAC chip from Burr Brown
- XMOS technology for lowest possible jitter
- Upsampling to 352.8kHz or 384kHz
- 32-bit / 384kHz asynchronous USB streaming
- Dedicated USB 2.0 driver for Windows Operating Systems (Apple and Linux are driver-less)
- 2 Selectable filters
- Ultra-linear circuitry
- Extremely low impedance on output stage
- Silver or Black face-plate
- Inputs: 1 x USB Type-B
- Outputs: 1 x Unbalanced RCA (pair)
- D/A Converter: Burr-Brown PCM-5102A Multibit Delta Sigma
- Bit-Depth Handled: Up to 32-bit
- Sample Rates Handled: 32 / 44.1 / 48 / 88.2 / 96 / 176.4 / 192 / 352.8 / 384kHz
- Output Voltage: 2.1V rms
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 50kHz (0db;-1dB)
- Selectable Filters: 2 (Minimum Distortion / Optimum Phase)
- Power Supply: 9V / 300mA
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 103 x 36 x 109mm (incl. sockets)
- Weight: 576g (excl. Power Supply)
MPN: USB Box S+
More products from Box-Design
Box Design USB Box S+ Manual (110.7 KB)
Pro-Ject USB Audio Driver v1.61.1 (1.6 MB)USB driver for Microsoft Windows systems. No driver required on Mac or Linux systems.
Be the first to add a review of Box-Design USB Box S+ and earn 5% off your next purchase (subject to approval).